Any exceptions to the following labeling procedures must be approved by the PLCB.
Current and acceptable label requirements for all products shipped to the PLCB are outlined below (for a printable version, click here). The PLCB retains the right to implement changes at any time. When changes occur, the Vendor of Record will be notified and the information posted on the PLCB website.
New vendors are encouraged to confirm that their labeling is acceptable prior to shipment by contacting the PLCB Labeling Coordinator at RA-lbSCC@pa.gov.
The PLCB requires the following information be on all cases of product received in any of our warehouses:
- The PLCB/State item number
- A brief description of the product (including name, size and vintage or proof)
- Shipping Container Code (SCC) and barcode
- UPC and barcode
- Consumer-readable freshness date, if this date is printed on the retail unit
This information can be combined into one label if assembled and placed correctly. The information can be printed on the cartons in lieu of a label. In these instructions reference will be made to “labels” but it is understood that the same information and requirements also refers to printed boxes.
- The label (if printed on paper as opposed to on the carton surface) must be printed on WHITE paper.
- The PLCB will accept Multi State and/or National Alcoholic Beverage Control Association (NABCA) labels in lieu of the PLCB/State label, as long as the information and specifications of that information is consistent with the PLCB requirements.
- Affix the PLCB/State case code label in the upper left-hand corner of the narrow side of the case approximately one-half (1/2) inch from the edges to prevent fringing. NOTE: If the PLCB/State Label includes the SCC bar coding, the labels must be placed at the bottom of the case on adjacent sides as described below under Label Placement.
In addition to the standard label requirements outlined abover, all Holiday packaged Merchandise (Prewraps) must have the suffix "G" added to the PLCB code.
If the retail unit displays a “freshness” date, this date and the related text must be printed on the case or the case label. Examples of a freshness date are: “Best By NN/NN/NN,” “Expires on NN/NN/NN,” and “This wine is best consumed by NN/NN/NN.
The actual size of the label should be a minimum of 4" H x 6" W.
|1||Brief product description including: name, volume, vintage or proof|||
|3||PLCB item number (4 or 5 digits)||3/4" H|
|4||14 digit Shipping Container code barcode and text Interleaved 2 of 5, 1/4" quiet zone||1.25" H x 4" W|
|5||Fresh Date and accompanying text||3/4 " H|
|6||Printed by: (consolidator and name) *This is required for consolidator printed labels only*||1/4" H|
|7||PO: NNNN *PO number for consolidator printed lables only|||
- The SCC barcode must be placed on two adjacent sides of each carton. The bottom edge of the bar code (not including the bearer bars) must be placed 1 and 1/4 inches (plus or minus 1/8 inch) from the container’s natural bottom. The outer edge of the bar code (not including the bearer bars) must be at least 1 ¼ up to 1 ¾ inches to either vertical edge. Wrap-around SCC labels are permitted if they allow for the proper placement of the bar code in relation to the carton’s edges.
- Bearer bars are acceptable either at the top or bottom or encompassing the entire SCC barcode, but they must not interfere with the size and placement of the barcode. Example:
- Do not place the SCC barcode to the immediate right or left of the UPC barcode, as the scanner may not read correctly.
Label Placement Examples:
Standard Label with SCC wrap-around:
Multi-state label on one end of the case with the SCC label on two adjacent sides via single wrap-around label. Barcode must be between 1.25" - 1.75" from carton edge.
Compound Wrap-around label:
Multi-state label and the SCC label combined into one single wrap-around label.
Please note that the sticker is positioned to meet the SCC location requirements.
Standard Label Convention:
Multi-state label on one end of the case with the SCC label on two adjacent sides.
Pennsylvania accepts only 14 digit Shipping Container Codes for the SCC number. The barcode must be Interleaved 2 of 5.
It is the responsibility of the vendor to develop the SCC numbers for their items. The vendor is also responsible for notifying the proper person(s) at the PLCB with all SCCs as they are established. If a product is received with an SCC that is not in our system, the product will be relabeled as incorrect and surcharged to the vendor.
CONSUMER-LEGIBLE FRESHNESS DATE
Any dated product where the freshness date is visible and legible to the consumer on the retail sale unit must also have that same date clearly visible on the exterior of each case. Consumer legible dates include “Best by,” “Use by,” “Consume by,” “Expires” or any other wording that reflects or implies freshness or expiration dates.
Freshness date case label requirements:
- Pallets of the same item (unitized) should contain only one consumer date.
- The freshness date can be a separate label on the case, or integrated with the PLCB SCC label described above. If a separate label is printed, only one label is required on the case.
- The text should match what is printed on the retail unit ("Expires," "Best by," etc.).
- The date format should be MM-DD-YYYY.
- Font size should be minimum 3/4".
- The text must be printed on a contrasting area of the case (black ink on white label, etc.)
SURCHARGE/PENALTY FOR CORRECTIONS
If a shipment is received by the PLCB from a vendor bearing a PLCB/State and/or SCC label that is not formatted according to the aforementioned requirements and specifications, one bearing unrecognized coding, and/or labels not properly affixed to each case, the distribution of the merchandise to the store locations will be withheld until the cases are properly identified and labeled. Corrections will be made by the distribution center operator.
Surcharges, which will include an Administration fee and may also include penalties, will be levied for failure to comply with these requirements.
Each contract operator has established a schedule of fees to relabel improperly marked cases. Requests for fee schedules can be sent to: RA-lbSCC@pa.gov.